Monday, October 27, 2008

This is why I'm hot

This is an infamous "Bosnian Rose." This is an artillery shell mark common on the sidewalks of Sarajevo. This one was by the tunnel the Bosnian Muslims used to get supplies and people in and out of the city during the Siege by the Serbs. It is really eerie to walk down the sidewalk near the river, look down and see the place where a shell landed. Sometimes, they fill the divots with red paint to symbolize a lot of people died from that shell. The ones in the city proper did not necessarily look like this but you can imagine.

I think I figured out why I am not getting shortlisted on any of my job applications: I am applying to places like NATO and the UN. So I am not competing with only Americans, I am competing with the entire world. I did apply for a job in the US with the Dept of Labor. However, the website for the Dept of Labor Job has not updated me on my application status, only saying it has been "started". Um, I thought I completed it. So I guess I am out on that one...or maybe it will say "Application Completed" one of these days. I wonder how many people applied for this job.

My parents' visit is going really well. They are roaming the streets of Skopje, reading by the Vardar river and generally learning the art of doing nothing. We went to Ohrid last weekend and it was beautiful and relaxing. I even *gasp* knitted for a while! I sure miss knitting. Maybe I can knit for a bit tonight before meeting my man, Igor. I haven't seen him for 3 whole days! Part of me feels guilty about seeing him tonight (even though the parents can come) because my parents are only in town for another week. Thankfully, all seem to enjoy each other. I am fighting a cold and seem to be doing a good job as it is not full blown (pardon the pun). I know there is a fashionista update but I just need to upload the picture as describing this poster does no justice. Let's just say it involves a sleeveless shirt with Mary and Jesus on the front, a man with bleached hair and muscles...I know, you can't wait! This was not a live sighting, unfortunately.

Here is another picture of Igor.

1 comment:

zoNa said...

can't wait to see the poster!