Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I Will Survive

This is the outside wall of Stari Grad (Old City) Kotor, Montenegro. This is in the evening and I thought it was very cool. There is this stone wall that goes up the mountain and I am not sure exactly why it was built due to the grade of the mountain. I remember telling Dao that if she wanted to hike up to the look out, she was on her own. It was unbelievably hot - the warmest place on our travels. I would guess it was in the 90s or low 100s outside. Dao laughed when I told her she was on her own because she had no intention of getting heat stroke :0)

Hello! I'm back! What a week! Maria came on Wednesday and Manuel arrive late Thursday evening. We had a fantastic time. On Wednesday, Igor, Maria and I walked around downtown Skopje. We introduced her to Macedonian fast food - Igor and I had hamburgers (the beef is more like spiced mincemeat, I think) and Maria had toct (pronounced toast). Toct in Macedonia is pressed bread with ham, mushrooms and cheese in the middle. It is very thin and makes a good, quick, cheap small meal or snack. Maria also had her first Skopsko (Macedonian beer) and then we walked around, went to have delicious pizza, then home. I also have a wonderful boyfriend because you will never guess what he got me for a gift...an espresso cup with Tito on it!!! Now, the Tito series is not just photos :) Thursday, we went to the Old Bazaar and walked around, went to the Museum of Contemporary Art then to Shankley's, then to pick up Manuel. I actually took pictures of Skopje and will upload them as soon as I can. Friday, we had lunch with Dao, went up to Kale (pronounce Kal-lay) then met up with Igor and his friends to go to a cafe. It was awesome then on Saturday, we rented a car and went down to Ohrid :) I finally made it to Ohrid, where everyone says you have to go when you come to Macedonia. On our way down there, we stopped in a predominantly Albanian city, Tetevo, and saw the Painted Mosque. It was the first time in my life I have ever entered a mosque. I am glad we stopped there - it was beautiful and Manuel and Maria got a glimpse of a city that is not Skopje or a tourist resort, like Ohrid. After coming back on Saturday, Manuel had to leave so Maria and I took him to the bus station. We then walked around and ended up at Shankley's. I met up with Igor and then all of us headed to a bar called The Saloon. For those of you who know Boulder, CO, it loosely reminded me of the Dark Horse. Then, at 11:30 Sunday morning, Maria's car came to pick her up and I spent the afternoon cleaning up, grocery shopping and meeting up with Igor.

So now I have to figure out how I will get my work done by tomorrow. I have that desk research...and I haven't begun writing...and I will be out all afternoon at 2 different meetings. The first is conference on social inclusion (perfect since that is what my desk research is about) and the second is on the Human Rights Based Approach to development work. Maybe I will come back to work after the last meeting and stay late. I could turn it in tomorrow afternoon...I am so tired. Entertaining is fun, but hard work and I haven't caught up on my rest. Oh well. My parents come on Sunday and I will be able to rest before their arrival!

I have no real fashionista updates other than I do not anticipate seeing men in capris any time soon. The weather is cool and those are decidedly summer wear...

1 comment:

zoNa said...

beautiful photo em!!!! i wish i could have joined you on your most recent adventure. man....