Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Brass Monkey

This is a building in Split, Croatia. Once again, I picked a random picture from my folder - I get no previews. This is in the Stari Grad of Split (old city). I think it is near Diocletian's palace. Of all the placed Dao and I visited, Split was my least favorite, but I did enjoy taking a ferry from Split to Hvar for the day.

If you are confused by my recent blog entry titles, fear not, there is a perfectly reasonable explanation. The blog entry titles are also song titles. Too bad there is not a song title "Stress Monkey" because that would be the most appropriate title for how I feel right now. I have to have all the desk research for my social inclusion project done the 15th so Asya, Dominika and I can meet on the 17th to discuss my findings and map out the next steps. I know you're thinking that the 15th is 2.5 weeks away and you're right. But next week, I'm taking 2 1/2 days off for Maria and Manuel's visit. I am excited to see them. I just have to work a bit of overtime. Last night, I stayed in the office until 8:30 PM applying for a job with the US Department of Labor. In this position, I would be researching child labor, human trafficking and forced labor from an international perspective. While I believe this job is right up my alley with my interests and skill set, I must admit that I am not ready to leave Macedonia. I know it is inevitable, but I am still in a bit of denial. I want to stay in my internship and get paid for what I do. I like my apartment, my friends and my life here. I don't want to start over, again. I want to improve my Macedonian and keep learning new recipes. When I start my new job, assuming it is not in Skopje, I will have moved 3 times in 18 months. I know this is the life I chose for myself and I am not complaining, but that is not to say it is not difficult. It is difficult to apply for jobs when I am happy with the one I have. So I am working full time doing research, attending meetings, etc., searching for a new job (which is also full time at moments), meeting up with friends, the boyfriend and preparing for my visitors over the next month. Needless to say, I have become someone I never thought I would be: the girl who's nail polish is so chipped, it is embarrassing. Maybe tonight I will remove my nail polish and knit in front of the TV. I haven't seen my shows in so long. Oh wait, we're having a meeting with a Roma NGO at 4:30, the one my friend, Jessica, works at. There is a strong possibility she and I will go out after the meeting to a cafe. She's not in the Center often...

1 comment:

zoNa said...

wow. your life went from slow to fast paced within the blink of an eye!