Thursday, July 3, 2008

Your tax dollars at work

Zdravo! This coming Saturday, I am attending the 4th of July Celebration BBQ hosted by the American Embassy. I have been promised hot dogs, hamburgers, and beer. My Mom told me that when we lived in Malawi, the Embassy had the hot dogs flown in from the States. I would not be surprised if this is a similar situation. I wonder if the beer will be American and if so, which brand it will be. I will inform you of all the particulars next week. But here's my thoughts. I asked if I could bring my Macedonian friends with me and the Embassy told me I couldn't bring a non-American unless we were married. The explanation was security - we would all have to be pat down and the like if we allowed non-Americans to attend. I go back and forth on my thoughts about this issue. Macedonians LOVE George W. Bush-they want to name the city park here in Skopje after him, Albanians fly American flags next to their own due to our recognition of Kosovo so I am wondering what the security issue is exactly. If an American citizen wants to include their Macedonian/Albanian/Roma friends to come to the picnic and learn more about American traditions and history, why not? I can see not opening it up to the general public, but to my friends? I can understand why Americans are seen as arrogant. I also realize that I am not regularly briefed on security threats facing America/Americans in Macedonia so I am trying to tread lightly here. All that being said, I am looking forward to the BBQ. I have met 3 Americans since my arrival here so it will be interesting to meet more of my fellow citizens. I want to thank you, my fellow Americans, for paying taxes so I can have genuine American hot dogs on the 5th of July in Skopje, Macedonia.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey, i lived off of everyone else for 6 months via unemployment.....the least i can do is give you a couple of our hot dogs!!!! hehe