Friday, July 18, 2008

Off to Bulgaria!



As promised, here is the random photo for this blog post. This is a very patriotic sheep that I saw last weekend at the sheep shearing festival. You can't really tell, but the wool is cut into a mohawk. I was rather fond of this sheep and I wish I had a better picture of her. She wore her red yarn with pride.

I am off to Sofia to visit 2 friends I went to undergrad (Sewanee) with. I am looking forward to getting to Sofia, but not the ride there or back. I am taking a bus, which means that the usual 3 hour trip by car becomes 5 hours. Here is to hoping the children are left at home :) I am going to study my Macedonski and knit. Maybe catch up on some zzzz's. I don't know what we are going to do, but I have been instructed to bring a swimming suit. Which reminds me: I need a new swimming suit. The old one will do, but it has seen better days.

In other news, America ranks 12th in the world on the Human Development index. This index combines indicators in the areas of education, health and income. Why is the richest country in the world not even in the top 10 for Human Development? Another interesting finding from this study: Among the world's richest nations, the US has the highest number of children living in poverty (15%). Think about it. That is approximately 1 out of every 7 children. I need to look at how poverty is defined. Regardless, this is embarrassing. The Human Development Index is calculated by the UN Development Program and it used to define countries as developed, developing and undeveloped.

2 comments:

zoNa said...

which countries were in the top ten?? i am dying to know!

ps. ralph lauren has a SUPER cute bathing suit on sale. jiajia has it in red, and i have it in navy blue. the cut is super flattering, and i think it would look good on you, so check it out!

zoNa said...

sounds amazing em!!!!