Monday, July 7, 2008

Home, at last?

Zdravo! I promised an update on the picnic hosted by the Embassy so here goes. The hot dogs tasted like hot dogs in America and the simple fact that they were actually grilled made them that much more tasty. There was American ketchup, mustard, mayo, and relish (yes, there really is a difference!!). I even had that spiral pasta salad with black olives and red peppers. The beer was Macedonian - Skopsko, which is a nice pilsner. I made some new friends, mostly with Peace Corps Volunteers from around Macedonia. I also found out that there is a Democrats Abroad meeting this coming Thursday. Now, I am going to tell you something that may or may not be a shock to you. I am a registered Republican, but will attend this meeting to check it out. It may not be my bag, but I will go. And I even told one of the members that I am a registered Republican and was not shunned so here goes nothing. That being said, I'll let you know if anything exciting happens, you know, like I am outted as a Republican and accused of being a spy.

I think, finally, I am comfortable with my super quiet lifestyle here in Skopje. It takes a while to adjust to spending almost all my free time knitting while watching various (informative) TV shows. I do have friends and go out periodically, but 90% of the time, when I am not at work, I am at home. I am a fairly social creature so it is not surprising that it has taken me 8 weeks to adjust to solitude. I finally feel like Skopje is my home, even if it is only temporary.

1 comment:

zoNa said...

thats great em. it is good to have a place to call home. everything in life is temporary anyways.

i miss you!