Sunday, February 1, 2009

Fake Plastic Trees

Well, so much for me being more faithful in updating my blog. A lot has happened in the past couple weeks and will sincerely try to update at least twice a week, from now on.

Firstly, my grandfather died. So, after finally unpacking my suitcases after living in them for about 5 weeks, I had to repack them and go back to Colorado. I will miss my grandpa and am so glad I was able to be at his funeral with my family. The funeral was on a Friday and afterwords, we, being 30 or so of us, went out to dinner at one of my least favorite restaurants. I got food poisoning and spent the rest of the evening and night vomiting, etc. while trying to keep Gatorade down. I was very scared of becoming severely dehydrated because I have no health insurance. Eventually, I got over the poisoning and by Sunday evening, I was eating normally again. I went to another funeral on Thursday - a woman from my church in Golden died. I am so glad I went to go see her with my Dad when I was in Colorado over the holidays. Her funeral was very comforting. So, 2 funerals and a week and a half later, her I am, back in the DC area.

I have excellent news! I am the new legislative intern at the American_Public_Human_Services_Association. While the position is not paid, I interviewed on Friday, they loved me, and I got the job! I am so happy that I have this opportunity to learn and to meet people, as opposed to being at home, frantically worrying about work. I am still looking for a full-time, paid position, but at least I am gaining valuable experience doing the internship. There is a chance that this could become a paid gig so we'll see what happens.

Finally, I applied to be a White_House_Fellow and am anxious about it. I don't really think I have a shot at all, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? I will find out if I am a finalist in March or April. There will be over a thousand applicants for 12 - 19 positions. But someone has to be a finalist...maybe that some one is me!

I must get ready for church. We are going to Catholic mass and I hope it goes better than the last time I was at mass. Last time, my heart started racing and I realized it was because I am not a fan of the patriarchal system, aka it is only men and boys who have leadership positions, at least during the service. I also do not subscribe to the church's official stand on reproductive health. Nevertheless, I like the liturgy, music and am interested in hearing the sermon. Maybe I will have a different experience at this church.

1 comment:

zoNa said...

last time i was at catholic mass the priest's sermon was about how women need to follow the spiritual lead of their husbands.

i got up and walked out.

(so happy for you em! i get the call from harry on monday!)