Sunday, February 8, 2009

Cactus

I feel a "doh" moment coming on. I am going to apply to two legislative assistant jobs on Capitol Hill and I need to submit 2 writing samples along with my cover letter and resume. I need to ask Cassie what to write. I really hope I have something already. I didn't read through the whole vacancy notice when I flagged the positions. I think something from my White_House_Fellow application should work, but maybe they aren't look for a memo to the President on changing how we determine the poverty threshold...I have to be careful because I am not applying directly to the Members' offices. I am applying to the general clearing house so this probably means I need an objective on my resume. Job searching can be so frustrating.

The other two jobs I am applying for are a bit different. One is a clerk in a subcommittee and the other is a researcher at the Urban Institute. I really want to stay at my internship, only get paid for it but at this point, I would say the outlook is not good. I know it will all work out, but some times I get impatient with the process.

In other news, Cassie, Tony the chocolate lab and I walked around a nearby lake. It was great and it took a couple hours. I also went to Mass and must say that I like this Catholic church much better. And the priest is Father What A Shame because he is quite handsome. He actually had a good sermon too.

All and all today was pretty productive. I am trying to look more forward instead of behind me, but that is difficult. It is hard to not over identify with experiences from one's past. Sundays bring out that reflective, ruminating part of me and it can be quite annoying. I also discovered that I am a master sudoku player.

2 comments:

zoNa said...

master elmo from here on out!

Unknown said...

Dear Em,

I have been checking in on you periodically and was so sorry to read about your Grandfather passing (and your subsequent illness). We all miss your bright smile and contagious laugh. Things at VOI are going well. Still a lot of victims of crime so we're always needed :). Aneesha has turned in her notice and is going back to school for her masters and will be working part-time at UCD developing a program for victim assistance for the students on campus. Should be exciting.

As for me I am applying to doctoral programs. Ugh. Alex (my daughter) will soon be 15 and is so impressed with you. Me too! You are doing terrific and soon all of this "unpaid" work will be rewarded. You are building a brilliant resume and we are so proud of your accomplishments. BRAVO Em. Hang in there and good luck with this next round of applications.

Take Care,
Elizabeth O'Laughlin