Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Smile Like You Mean It

I have become something I never thought I would be: listening to "soft" rock at work. I know, what you are thinking: Where's the Ems that listens to the Misfits, the Killers and Led Zeppelin? Well, let me explain. Dominika and I share an office. Today is a perfect day to listen to the Killers, but whenever I have put on rock like that, sometimes, she politely asks if we can listen to something else. I don't mind one bit that she is not into rock music, at least at work. So we listen to old swing/jazz standards, soft "office" rock (which right now is a mixed up version of "the Safety Dance"), oldies, classical and sometimes, that dreadful smooth jazz music. Some days, I go out on a limb and put on Bob Dylan (received 2 thumbs up) or mixes on my iPod. I know if I want to listen to my own music, I can just put on my iPod, but that cuts me off from the rest of the office and I like being an active participant. Thankfully, the recent soft rock station I found is not excessive Hall and Oates or Lionel Ritchie. These artists are played sparingly and this station keeps the "rock" in its title. The station even plays things like Dirty Vegas' "Without You". Imagine. Groovy.

In internship related news, today, I am working on updating our website - the text that is. I am completely html deficient. I just write blurbs, get them approved and send them off to HQ. Once my handicraft is posted, I'll include the link here. The website I am updating is not our official UNIFEM website; it is the UN in FYR Macedonia website. Ahhhhh, the bureaucracy. I wrote a fact sheet that needs just some finishing touches and have edited other fact sheets composed by Dominika.

Here are some random pictures for your viewing pleasure from my recent jaunt to Belgrade:

Republic Square


Skadarska Street, home to many cafes


Sculpture on Skadarska Street

One of the cafes on Skadarska Street


1 comment:

zoNa said...

thanks for posting pictures. so pretty. if it makes you feel any better, the artist with the most hits on my play list lately is phil collins... does this mean we are getting old???