Monday, November 17, 2008

Say It Ain't So

For once, the song title of my blog entry might *actually* be accurate, depending on your perception of the next few sentences. I applied for a Market Analyst position. And I know I won't get an interview, but is that some how selling my soul? The position has something to do with government contracts and the like...I don't know, but I printed out the position description and all my answers, just in case. You do realize that no one will want to interview me for a domestic position since I live in Macedonia. I understand. They probably don't know where Macedonia is on a map and, before I knew I was applying to this position, I couldn't have located it either. Here is my thinking about my career. Of course, I would love to stay in international development with a focus on women's empowerment, specifically, economic rights. BUT, I realized that I could still incorporate the gender perspective into any position I hold. Yes, I want to use my degree and stay in policy/research. However, I don't have to have such a narrow search, i.e. only women NGOs, think tanks, etc. Is this deja vu from another entry? I think so...

All this brings me back to when I was wanting to relocate from Colorado to DC, before I discovered the MSSP program at Penn. I kept sending resumes and cover letters and I didn't even get a nibble. I will not let this get me down, no! I do not fear my future! Embrace it! And keep searching for that fantastic opportunity...

As far as my weekend went, well, it was pretty darn quiet. Jennie and Igor "met" on skype and there were many "firsts". It was the first time Jennie and I have seen each other since April. It was the first time Igor had experienced a webcam. Of course, Jennie and Igor chatting was a first. It went well and I am so glad we have this technology. Friday, Igor and I ended up going to this very cool cafe called Barista. There were so many textures in Barista. There were individual wood pieces on the wall - like bricks, only wood. There were branches and books in bookshelves. It was great. The only thing was the music was fairly loud (no, I am not getting old! I want to be able to have a conversation in a cafe). Saturday, we met his friends and went to another cafe which had superheroes on the wall. Yesterday was quiet - lots of cooking and knitting. I am trying to enjoy my last couple months in Macedonia. I can't believe Igor and I have already been together two months. I know the next two will fly by.

No comments: