Friday, November 21, 2008

Looking for Space

My computer screen went totally blank and I think it was a rebellion against Kid Rock playing on the web radio. I can't say I can blame my computer.

Last night I made scrambled tofu. It had curry, tomatoes, onion, garlic, cumin and spinach. It was pretty good, but needed a bit of salt. Igor ate it and liked it! This is when I realized that I need to be a lobbyist. I told him that the meal was high in protein, which is true, and did not let him look at the tofu before I cooked it. It was the first time he has seen and eaten tofu. So my marketing/selling skills are good, I think. I am honest, but leave out details that might make someone wary of trying my product. DC, watch out! What is funny is that tofu in Macedonian is translated as soy cheese. I guess it is cheese, in a way. So we had tofu scramble, my delicious baked rice that any Chinese or Japanese person would find appalling and chocolate with pop candy in it for dessert. Speaking of chocolate, I am addicted to the Limited Edition Milka chocolate with chili in it. Sweet and spicy. Yum. It is probably a good thing it is a limited edition. Otherwise, I would probably gain some serious weight.

I know Thanksgiving is coming up in the States. I am glad Macedonians don't celebrate this holiday because I have a feeling I would miss my family and the States a lot. I know my Peace Corps friends celebrate with turkeys from the States and everything. Last year, I went to Buffalo with Cata and Sesu to stay with Teeny and Landy, Cata's parents (those are nicknames, by the way). It was so fun - I learned how to play spades and got to pretend that I knew something about statistics (Landy is a bio-statistician). We went to Niagara Falls (um brrrrrrr) and just relaxed. It was wonderful to be in an actual home. So this year, I will spend Thanksgiving in my office, planning a project on social inclusion. My how things change!

Sculpture Remembering the Partisans who rebelled against the Fascist Occupation, Oct. 11, 1941 (yup, that is a lady Partisan, fighting the evil fascists!)


Another part of the sculpture honoring the Partisan fight against the Fascist Occupation. The Partisan uprising was spontaneous and began on October 11, 1941.

Another view of the Partisan sculpture with the Government Bldg in the background

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those sculptures are awesome! I love when artists get a chance to bring things like that rebellion to life again....
Did you know that a Chinese sculptor received the DC 50million dollar commission to make a sculpture commemorating Dr. Martin Luther King??? His bright idea is to use a type of granite which will, after a long time, turn the exact color of Dr. King's skin.....wtf?!?!?! It is riddled with aspects which confuse me...but oh well...I guess I will just reach in my pocket and hand over my money for it anyways. :) hehe. danm sculptors and their dumb ideas!!! :):):)
Anyways, yeah last Thanksgiving was a ton of fun, but so will this one be. I mean, come on, you are in friggin Macedonia! How much more awesome can it get? I will be in central PA...trade ya! haha. Have a great time.

zoNa said...

it certainly was a great thanksgiving! I was looking at pictures of that weekend just two days ago and feeling so nostalgic.