Thursday, November 6, 2008

Blueberry Hill

I think it is funny that I am the only person listed as a follower on my blog.

So, I am back to reminiscing about my parents' visit and applying for jobs. I was very disappointed to find out today that I am too old to apply to be a UNESCO Young Professional. I am too old by 18 days. It just stinks because I have been waiting to apply for about 2 years. Oh well, that means there is something out there that is better for me! I am applying for another job at OSCE up in Prishtina. Fingers crossed. Looking for jobs is seriously a full time commitment.

I know my Mom and I's favorite visit of the trip was up to Matka Canyon, just outside of Skopje. TJ (my Dad), Momma, Igor and I went up there via taxi and we totally lucked out with taxi drivers! Ours was great and came back to get us later that day. Anyhow, there is this huge dam, which produces hydro-electric power. Behind the dam is a winding, beautiful canyon with what appears to be a still, aqua lake. We hiked along the canyon for a while and that is when Igor noted that he had never experienced silence like this. We stopped and listened and I don't think I heard anything, besides my own breathing. I really need to upload pictures because it was beautiful. Near the dam was a church St. Andrea (Andrew for us Anglos!) and the curator let us actually take pictures of the frescoes. We had a pleasant lunch after our hike and on our way into Skopje, our taxi got a flat tire. Thankfully, we were near a tire shop so we all got out while our drive drove on the rim to the tire shop and waited about 15 minutes for the tire to be changed. At least some things are efficient in Macedonia! I liked getting out of the city and experiencing the stillness of Matka.

In other news, I am having problems with my ears and my medical experience has been somewhat mixed. I have yet to be triaged or weighed. My temperature was taken once (of the 3 times I have been to the doctor). In fact, I don't think I know what a Macedonian nurse looks like. You just check in then the doctor sees you right away. Unless I am seeing nurses and not doctors but I don't think that is the case. I had to roaring ear infections and they don't seem to be going away. While my ears don't hurt, they are full of fluid so I feel like I am underwater and can't hear very well. I don't like my ear, nose and throat doctor. She gave me a hearing test when I told her I can't hear very well because of the fluid, then failed to explain any results and charged me for it. She also mutters and when I say I can't hear her, tells me I have hearing loss (thank you, Captain Obvious. I came to see you because my head is full of fluid, making me not hear well!). I don't think anyone has heard of decongestant here. I go to the pharmacy and they give me nose drops. All I want is DayQuil or something along those lines! I will consult Dao for surely she has something!

Back to work and job applications :)

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Good luck with those job applications! I'm working on applying to a couple of different programs, while saving the jobs for after I officially receive my degree in the spring...

Funny, though - one of the programs is UNESCO's YPP! How frustrating to miss the cut-off by 18-days. >:( Have you heard any feedback on the program from any of your UNIFEM contacts? I'd be curious to hear what is circulating the UN grapevine about it... It sounds pretty competitive, so I'm not holding my breath!

zoNa said...

woah. no decongestant? want me to mail you some???