Monday, June 30, 2008

Too Good to be True, boo hoo

So, you thought I actually had continuous internet at home - and so did I! Shortly after my blogpost on Friday night, I let my computer rest and when I awoke my computer to chat on skype with Calabasa, the internet had the same problem it had before. Imagine me in a heap of tears on the floor. Total breakdown. I thought I would finally be able to chat with my parents on skype, with my sister, my friends - but no! Internet is my connection to my roots and to think you have something, only for it to be taken away, is worse than not having it at all. So I have given up on my dreams of being able to chat at home, online with friends and family. Instead, I will hunt for a good phone card. If any of you know a good internet phone card site, please let me know. I really need to be able to talk to my Momma, Gramma, you, etc.

My weekend was fairly uneventful, except the jerky cab driver I had in the wee hours of the morning after going to a fabulous outdoor club. I should have just told him "you don't run the meter, I don't pay." Then not understand a word he says. Instead, I paid double what the price should have been. I did not make this poor decision because of drinking - I had 3 over a span of 4 hours. Rather, it was because I was tired and sore. I simply wanted to get to my house and sleep. So let me tell you about the club. This is the first place I have actually had to pay to get in to - a whopping 120 denars ($3). Oh and there are men with fanny packs when you first walk in. The gun theory is beginning to prove itself. So after you get passed the men with fanny packs and potentially guns, there is a huge dance area under a tent - like structure. I don't know if you all are familiar with Denver International Airport (DIA), but if you aren't just google an image of it. The reason is this place loosely reminded me of DIA. There are huge screens showing the same loop from what I gather to be Ibiza, DJ stage, and then the bar/VIP areas. Bea, Kate and I spotted the guys from the Swiss Embassy we met a month ago so we hung out with them most of the time. We never made it out to the dance floor but we did (well, us girls) dance a bit. Europeans dance much differently than Americans and I like it because it is solo, independent and free. I try to not be self conscious, but that usually doesn't work because it isn't just the fact that you don't touch other people when you are dancing, it is also they way they dance that is different. Had I had more energy, I would have insisted we go to the dance floor, but since I went running earlier in the day (I know, what? Me, run?!), I was a bit sore. But I can tell you that I liked being at the outdoor club. It isn't smokey.

Ok, one more thought. Another thing I find interesting about Europe is the fact that on a music countdown, Led Zeppelin was followed by Roxette (the official band of Europe, I am convinced) and then, later in the countdown, Him was followed by Phil Collins. How can you put these bands in the same countdown? Google Him the Band and you will see these goth-like metal love-song Finns. Just imagine Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" followed by Roxette's "Listen to your heart" and you get what I am talking about. I like that there is no strict adherence to genre on the countdowns or radio stations. And Roxette IS the official band of Europe. Men here are not afraid to rock Roxette. My Macedonian instructor's 40 year old husband was listening to them the other day. I love Roxette so this is good news for me.

1 comment:

zoNa said...

i noticed the same thing about radio in Japan! i heard luda followed directly by bryan adams. not kidding.