Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Sour Water and Women's Economic Rights

You will be happy to know that the name of my neighborhood translates to Sour Water or Acid Water or Mineral Water...I am not sure. Kisela Voda. Here is a picture of the flag with the emblem of my municipality. Despite the questionable meaning of the word before water, it is actually a great area and I am happy with my place. I just wonder why it is called Sour Water. My water is not sour nor acidic.

In other news, I finished my first paper discussing the policy issue I am focusing on - women's economic rights. My supervisor is reviewing the paper and we are about to discuss it. I am so nervous. What if my writing is horrible or disappointing?! I lack confidence in moments like these. This is when I must trust the firm foundation given to me by Penn. I figure my program would not want me to represent them if they thought I was a horrible writer! This fear comes from illogical Ems. No doubt, with positive self-talk and lots of deep breaths, I will get through this initial moment of stress. This happened to me when I turned in my first paper when I started my Masters program. I am so nervous, I can't eat or hardly drink coffee. That is how you know things are serious - lack of ability to consume coffee. Once the meeting is over and the paper "returned" from my supervisor, I can deal with the results. If you want to read my paper (it is only 7 pages), please let me know and I will email it to you.

Last night, I met up with Jessica, another Peace Corps volunteer and some women from the Roma area of Topaana, which is also part of Skopje. Last week, I went to Topaana with Jessica - she lives and volunteers there - and it is like a completely different Skopje. This little girl is Jessica's landlord's niece. I met her last week and although we did not speak the same language, we were able to communicate pretty well! The Southern Baptist Church has two women who work in Topaana with the Roma women surrounding reproductive health and education. I was surprised the Southern Baptist Church talks about sexual health! Any how, once a year the Southern Baptist ladies treat the Roma mothers they work with a trip to a coffee bar on the main square of Skopje. Last year, when they started the trip, some of the women had never been to a coffee shop the main square in Skopje. And to think, I spend most of my evenings there with my friends! It is truly a treat for all the women and children involved - they looked beautiful all dressed up and just seemed so happy. It is yet another reminder of how privileged I am. I talked to Ms. Betty (one of the Southern Baptist Ladies) about my wanting to do a knitting/craft circle. Jessica is going to talk to Fatma, the visionary Roma woman who runs Sumnal, an education center in Topaana. Many Roma children drop out of school, some even during the primary education years. Fatma runs a center, Sumnal, that is similar to an after school program. Sumnal is also doing a project in conjunction with UNIFEM surrounding domestic violence. It is estimated that 70% of Roma women experience domestic violence (I am not sure if this definition includes verbal/psychological abuse or not). I am so grateful for my friendship with Jessica and my time with the Roma. It grounds me and reminds me of what is important.

1 comment:

Denise said...

Emily,
Just wanted to drop a quick note and tell you that you are awesome and the paper you turned in is probably great. I love your blog and try to check in daily to see what you are doing. I seeing Macedonia through your eyes and through your beautiful wrtings. Thank you. Stay safe and I'll write from time to time.
Denise