Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Pictures of Skopje and some commentary


This is a picture of the Macedonian Orthodox Church right next to the memorial cemetery of British soldiers who died in World War I.



This is a picture of Jesus, painted inside the large dome. I did not want to take more pictures of the interior out of respect for those praying in the space.




These are the graves of the fallen British soldiers. There are grounds keepers, paid by the English Government to maintain the graves, flowers, etc.



This is a part of the Turkish quarter of Skopje. The Turkish quarter, or at least parts of it, survived the massive earthquake that leveled most of Skopje on July 26, 1963. If you read guidebooks about Skopje or talk to people who have visited (um, yeah, me!!!), they will tell you that the city is pretty ugly. Just like the parts outside the old part of Bratislava, Skopje is "blessed" with lovely Communist-era cement architecture. While the buildings often leave something to be desired, the people are friendly and helpful.

I am once again meeting Jessica, the Peace Corps volunteer tonight, assuming my host mom does not come by to help me with internet at home. If I meet Jessica, I will get to meet potentially 3 other Americans. I am so grateful for the friends I have made and am so happy that I have Macedonian friends. I have decided to seriously consider Macedonian language courses. I think the language will give me more access to the culture. That being said, money is an issue so I will have to do a serious cost-benefit analysis. Ok, duty calls but I will update again soon!

No comments: