Friday, June 6, 2008

The following jobs are considered exceptionally difficult...

I am reading the Macedonian Labor Relations Act of 1993 and in Section 32, it outlines what jobs are considered exceptionally difficult, strenuous and detrimental to human health. I want you to see some examples: exceptionally difficult physical labor, work in water or high humidity, surgical work in operating rooms, psychiatry work, work with harmful chemicals, ballet dancers, wind instrument musicians, folk dancers and opera singers. This section says, if I am understanding things correctly, that these employees can work reduced working hours (but not less than 30 hours a week) and cannot work more than the agreed upon working hours. Hmmmm. Interesting. Employees are entitled to a minimum of 18 working days of vacation per year. Sweet! Oh no, I just found out I was not reading the updated version of the law. It turns out, it was updated in 2005. Here's to hoping the folk dancers are still included in the 2005 version.

In other news, Bea is out of town until Sunday (which also happens to be her birthday). I finished knitting a scarf for her and I really hope she likes it and will actually wear it. I think it is cool, but I am not sure if our fashion sense match :) I hope to go to a yarn store with Damjanka (my host mom) tomorrow. The intern who was here prior to me is in town as well so we may meet up. My, how things change! Just a week ago, I was actually ironing my shirts. Now, I almost have a social life.

One more thing. I had my final training in security today, with the actual security department of the UN. I got to see where the dangerous parts of Macedonia are on a map and I asked the nice man what Kisela means. Kisela Voda is the name of my neighborhood. As it turns out, kisela literally means acid, but what you are really asking for is mineral water - that is how Macedonians say mineral water - kisela voda. Acid water, mineral water, it's all the same. I know we have funny names for things in English too, I just can't think of them right now. So, now I can order a beer (Skopsko, which is a pilsner made here in Skopje and delicious), Nescafe (coffee with milk) and kisela voda. Oh and Schweppes, which is a sour lemon carbonated refreshing deliciousness.

No comments: