Saturday, September 6, 2008

Scotland the Brave and Macedonian Independence Day

Skopje was taken over by Scots this past weekend. I noticed the first ones in the middle of last week, walking down the streets in their kilts drinking beer. As it turns out, there was a football (soccer) match between Macedonia and Scotland on Saturday afternoon. I went to meet my friend at the train station on Saturday morning and a Scot was playing his bagpipes at the station cafe. It was surreal to go out on Friday evening and see kilts EVERYWHERE! The Scots love Skopsko beer and were good sports after they lost on Saturday. My landlady thinks Macedonia had an unfair advantage because the Scots are not used to playing in 96 degree weather. Regardless, it was fun hearing and speaking with the 6,000 + Scots. They were also very generous, donating 15,000 Euros or Pounds (not sure which currency) to orphanages here in Macedonia. The fights were minimal after the game as opposed to when England played here, from what I hear.

Saturday evening, I went to see the Macedonian basketball team trounce the Portuguese basketball team. Dewey and I figured that we could get some drinks and food at the game, you know the $5 hot dog, $8 beer. Ha!!! No food, no drink, not even a water fountain! Regardless, the game was entertaining and I got to yell, "Makedonija! Dobro! Super! Bravo!" many many times. I went home after the game to get some rest. My Macedonian friends told me I was the loudest fan for Macedonia in our section. They were proud.

On Sunday, Damjanka and I had a fabulous afternoon making lunch and talking about everything from Macedonian politics, the Name Dispute to our families and cooking traditions from our respective home countries. I learned how to make another Macedonian dish and am hoping I can recreate it on my own. It is eggplant, garlic, walnuts and green peppers all smashed together. It is so delicious. After being with Damjanka, I went and chatted with my Brother and his family. They are so cute, all of them. I got to see my nephew, Will, for the first time. Emma, my niece, and I made faces at each other on the web cam. It was wonderful to see them, talk to my Brother and his wife and just laugh and relax.

Macedonian Independence day was on Monday, the 8th. I am still glowing from sitting 6 feet from the Macedonian PM Gruevski. My friends said I should have gone up to talk to him, but I was scared I'd accidentally call him Big Nikki to his face and besides, what would I tell him? How did you like the Republican Convention, Big Nikki? Next time I see Big Nikki, I will introduce myself. I don't want to have a political discussion with him and I certainly don't agree with a lot of his policies, but I still can't believe he was 6 feet from me. You can see his picture in a previous blog post. My friends were making fun of me for being so excited to be near him and many just didn't understand. I realized last night (again) that I am a political junkie. After my encounter with Big Nikki, we went to the square and watched a band play, then I went home and crashed.

This week, I have to sort out all my student loan stuff, keep applying for jobs and potentially go to the football match between the Netherlands and Macedonia. On top of these items, I have my internship duties and my house desperately needs to be cleaned. Oh, one more thing! Manuel and Maria are coming to visit me for a week at the end of September and I am sooooo excited! Shortly after they leave, my parents arrive...it seems to be coming to a close quickly.

No comments: