Thursday, September 18, 2008

Add It Up

This is part of the Tito series. This key chain was hanging from the rear view mirror in our tour bus in Sarajevo.

It is Thursday and I am very much looking forward to the weekend. I came to a zen place about my financial and economy worries yesterday. I received a wonderful email from one of my Professors at Penn and realized that just as things have worked out in the past, the future will be the same. I won't have to force anything, but that is not to say I won't have to work hard. I remember when I found out I could apply to my Masters program. I had to put the application together as quickly as possible and while I was a total stress monkey tracking down my professors from undergrad who were all leaving the country for research and various other reasons and writing and re-writing my essays, it worked. I didn't have to force it. The same is true about my internship here in Macedonia. I agonized over the introduction email to the head of the office here, putting my resume together and then practicing for the interview. But in the end, it worked. So here I am, working hard trying to learn about this country, people and customs while trying to put together the best report on the women's economic rights situation that has ever been written. Yeah, I put pressure on myself. I don't want to disappoint UNIFEM because then I will have failed Penn and myself. So far, so good in the avoiding the disappointment department :)

Tonight, I am bent on staying in. Nora is coming over tomorrow so I need to get sheets washed, bathtubs scrubbed and just be quiet. I also seriously need to finish Boban's scarf. I went out again last night with the gentleman from Tuesday and we had fun. He took me to his favorite cafe and I took him to my favorite cafe. It was definitely chilly outside but we enjoyed the walk and he had never been to my cafe. It is always fun to introduce natives to place they have never seen! My cafe is unlike any cafe in Skopje. You sit outside on elevated platforms above a pond. There are 3 ducks who live there and hiss at you if you walk too close to them. We had strawberry vanilla tea (hot) and sat on cushions.

Ok, back to typing up the minutes from our staff meeting.

1 comment: