Monday, September 29, 2008

Don't Cry

I just got home from a wonderful dinner with my coworkers, their significant others and my boyfriend to read that the "bailout plan" failed to pass the House. My happy mood is gone. I try not to let things that I have no control over bother me, but I am scared. While I recognize we should hold those responsible for risky investments accountable for their poor choices and it sickens me that we can somehow find $700 billion for this bailout, yet there are uninsured Americans and millions of people in this world starving due to increased food prices, my stomach still dropped over the news of the failed 'bailout'. I have no more words. If Pelosi and Boehner can unite on something, it's worth a second look. I worked with both those characters when I was a Page and I can tell you that this is truly a historical moment - they actually agree on something. I am holding my breath to see what the next few days hold for us as a world, not just a nation. I fear the worst, yet hope for the best. My boyfriend does not understand why I care. He tells me that Macedonians are able to survive on 150 euros or 1000 euros a month - it doesn't matter the income, the lifestyle is adapted to the lower level - and that this crisis won't reach Macedonia...part of me hopes he never understands why I care because that means the hemorrhaging stops and the healing begins. Quickly.

No comments: