Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Nostalgic

I am exceedingly, almost annoyingly content here in Skopje. This place is my home and I love just walking around, listening to my ipod. I met my friend, Sabina, last night and we had way too much fun and conversation. She is my the friend I met when I went to the mountains on the Albanian border. She is a citizen of Macedonia, home visiting her family but she works in Denver. Sabina has the feeling we are going to end up working together one day and I hope her hunch is right. Time will reveal all.

I was chatting with my friend who is returning to Penn for the fall semester and I realized that part of me would like to be returning to Penn for the fall semester. So much has happened in a year. I moved from Denver to Philly, learned more than I ever thought possible and suddenly, I find myself in Macedonia. It makes me wonder where I will be next year. Or even in six months.

Adding to my nostalgia, I decided to begin to write my memories from childhood. I wrote down all the remembrances from when we lived in Malawi and flew back to the States. I was age 1 to 4 when we lived there. I know seeing the man with polio on his porch is why I do what I do today. I experienced a heaviness in my chest when I saw him.

Duty calls, friends. I am going to make a table on outputs and indicators for our domestic violence proposals. Try to not get too jealous.

No comments: