Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Liquor and Plastic Bags

There are two major changes arriving in Macedonia in the next 4 months. Beginning September 1, you won't be able to buy beer, wine or liquor after 7PM except from "authorized" sellers - i.e. the supermarket and coffee bars. In theory, the little convenience store/bodega by my place will no longer be able to sell me my Skopsko after 7PM until 6AM the next morning. I do not anticipate much of a lifestyle change for me, but this could be quite serious for other residents, if it is actually enforced. On Fridays and Saturdays especially, some men sit at my little bodega near my house, drink Skopsko and talk well into the evening. They have not been publicly disruptive, at least that I am aware of. So, it will be interesting to see if this law is enforced and if there will be less people walking around City Park with beers after 7PM.

The next big change will be the ban of plastic bags at "shops, business premises and markets that deal with retail trade of foodstuff and products of general consumption" on January 1, 2009. I have noticed that it is almost impossible for me to leave my wee bodega without a plastic bag, even if I buy only a tomato. Despite my refusal for a bag, people always try to push them on me. Imagine buying a candy bar at the gas station and the attendant automatically putting it in a plastic bag. This is the plastic bag culture of Skopje. So, my canvas shopping bag may become the next vogue fashion expression here in Skopje. I wonder if the stores will all just switch to paper. I am not sure if I will be here in January to see the change, but it sounds pretty progressive, at least on paper. It will be a cultural shift.

No comments: