Sunday, August 24, 2008

In the cafe

Skopje has many coffee bars. I am on the quest to find my favorite coffee bar. You may wonder why this would be such a difficult task. Well the reason is, they all look the same, they are just located on a different part of the river, or on Macedonia street. They all sell gelatto and coffee along with beer, wine and other alcohol libations. So, in an effort to get myself out of my apartment on the weekends, I will try to see if there is something unique, a place where I love plugging in my computer and typing away. I have a lot to do, when you think about it. All my pictures need to be transferred from my camera, labeled and uploaded so you can see them! Then, there is my attempt to write down all my childhood memories and the on-going job applications/getting my resume, etc. in various databases - the UN, USAID, OSCE....my job search has cooled for the moment but I want to get everything in those places so when that great job comes up at the end of my internship, I will be there as a candidate. I still have no clue when my internship will finish nor when I will make it back to the States. This uncertainty used to unnerve me, but now, I am pretty zen about it.

As you are probably aware, my life here is very quiet. I spend most of my time outside of work by myself. I have found great friends, but it is hard to connect in person. I watch a lot of tv and found myself relating to Ally McBeal. On last night's episode, her friend asked her what makes Ally's problems more important than everyone else's. Ally responded the reason was because they were hers. I think sometimes I get down because I don't think my problems are any more important than everybody else's so instead of reaching out to my friends, I sit in my apartment and watch Ally McBeal. This is another reason I am trying to find my cafe of choice - at least I am out and not feeling so isolated in my home. I find that I enjoy my solitude, most of the time, but it can get stifling in and of itself. I notice in the cafes that I am the only person who is here alone. There is not a coffee culture similar to the US - well not that I have found. Macedonians LOVE to go out for coffee, but never alone. I brought my Macedonian homework so I can study for a bit. It is hard to self-teach, but I hope I will improve.

No comments: