Tuesday, May 27, 2008

My First Project and If you don't like my driving...

I am reading the Macedonian National Plan for Gender Equality. After I finish that, I will read the Project Description about Strengthening Implementation of Women's Rights at the Workplace FYR Macedonia. I have a paper to write to discuss the Policy Issue so these 2 documents, along with others, are my backdrop. It is quite interesting, actually. Basically, we had this study done and in order to see how we can use it, I need to know the background information. So, here we go!

Some of you may be familiar with the bumper sticker "If you don't like my driving, stay off the sidewalk." Some of you may have received said bumper sticker upon turning sixteen, laughing at the joke. Unfortunately, here in Skopje, driving up on to the sidewalk is actually where you park. So you are not safe on the sidewalk, hence always walking facing traffic, wherever possible. Sidewalks, streets, it is pretty much the same here! Which reminds me about crossing the street. The key is to never show fear or hesitation. It is like what I learned in my security class about being in a hostage situation. They must respect you and have sympathy for you. Pleading, begging, etc will not be tolerated. The same is true for crossing the street. You must walk without fear and very quickly. Once you are committed, you must cross, and you must remember that no one will slow down when approaching you except maybe at the last second. So look both ways and learn to time your entrance into the street. Know your gait. Be cool, calm collected and whatever you do, do not panic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pretty much like in Pakistan LOL