Monday, May 26, 2008

Back from Bratislava

Hello and many apologies for not updating my blog sooner. I do not have internet access at my home so I must wait until before or after working hours to update you! I am working on home internet access. Keep your fingers crossed!

Our return from Bratislava was uneventful, except that my bag finally decided to join me after its tour of Paris. I was so happy that it was there and, from what I can tell, all items were in the suitcase! Hooray! I finally have perfume, skirts, more knitting supplies, face wash...Friday evening was spent relaxing and knitting. I am so glad I learned to knit because I would seriously go crazy if I didn't have that to occupy me while watching CNN, Animal Planet or the National Geographic channel. I know friends will come in time, but as for right now, it is me in my flat, attempting to cook (spinach with butter, green onions and garlic anyone?) every evening and weekend. My land lady, who I would rather refer to as my host mom, called me on Saturday morning and asked if we could have lunch. I was delighted!! So, we went and figured out my PIN on my cellphone, then had this Skopje bread sandwich. Yes, it is bread in bread. I am not kidding. The bread in the bread is oily and thin - deliciously greasy, and a specialty of Skopje. Then, she took me to the cemetery where the British troops who died during World War I are buried. I got to see the inside of an Eastern Orthodox Church and see my host mom light candles and the like. It was very beautiful and interesting. I always liked smells and bells so Eastern Orthodoxy suits me just fine. Apparently, I cross myself backwards, but I can adjust. My host mom has offered to take me to church and I hope I can one day! You will be sure to know all about it if I get to go! Any how after that (which I will post pictures soon), we went to the old Turkish part of the city. There is an outdoor market as well as the ancient version of our strip malls with shops and eating places. My host mom wanted me to have some barbecue. I know what you are thinking: BBQ chicken, pulled pork (not in the Turkish area!!)...ha, no. It is like gyro meat. Delicious. She took me to the best BBQ place. Mmmmmm. One day, I hope I can go back to the old part of the city.

Sunday was spent knitting, cleaning, grocery shopping, figuring out how to use a washing machine that is in Macedonian (I go by water temperature so my clothes stay the right size). Today was my first day of work and I spent it completing the "basic security" and "advanced security" in the field classes. You can all rest assured that I will not be having my photograph taken with child soldiers or opening mail with white dust coming out of the envelope. All joking aside, taking the course made me realize how lucky I am that my first international development experience is in Skopje, a place where I enjoy the food and has good security.

The other thing I did today was go to a press conference about ending Proxy and Family Voting in Macedonia. Proxy voting is voting on someone else's behalf (dead or alive) and Family voting is when a husband goes into the polling station with his wife to "advise" and "help her understand" what is going on. Both are a violation the human right to a secret ballot and effect women. Obviously, their voice cannot be heard if someone is voting on their behalf or coercing them to vote a certain way. This occurs in the rural regions and is a cultural, patriarchal norm, which is why it still goes on today. The Election Commission and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) sponsored the publishing of this booklet and are working to eradicate this practice. Unfortunately, it is not in time for the elections on Sunday, but It is good to know this is on their radar.

And with that, I am going home! TTFN!

No comments: