Wednesday, May 28, 2008

My Fellow American

I don't have much time to update so what I will say is that I am quite excited to meet a fellow American Peace Corps volunteer. She is enthusiastic about showing me around Skopje and including me in the Peace Corps family - hooray! I have not met her yet, but tonight, we are going to her NGO, which works with Roma families by helping them keep their children in school. The Roma children are putting on skits and celebrating the launching of a new education initiative. This is also exciting for me because I have only seen Roma in passing - they collect plastic bottles out of the garbage and recycle them. It is estimated that 80% of Roma are unemployed. However, one must keep in mind the vast informal economy in Macedonia so this number might be artificially high. Ok, back to meeting Jessica. Tomorrow, I hope to update you more on what I am doing for my project, once I get my mind around it a bit more. Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved reading of your adventures, Emily. You are an inspiration. Keep up the good work and stay safe! Cindy