Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Great Learning Curve and Privilege

I have been in the planning meetings for 1.5 days and I realize that I have a big learning curve. I knew that coming into this but it is still a tough realization. I know the UN is a huge bureaucracy and learning how UNIFEM works, even though it is a small UN program, there is lots to learn about how it functions. I am sure soon enough, it will not be so overwhelming. I will be very busy and, from what it sounds like, overwhelmed with work!

I am learning so much, especially surrounding Kosovo. There are many Kosovar Albanians here and their perspective is interesting. I spoke with one woman about what happened in 1999 with the bombings of Serbia and the war. She is a Kosovar Albanian and during that time, she worked in the refugee camps. When we were talking, she teared up, especially when talking about realizing that she couldn't protect her children. What was really hard for her was her children realizing that their parents could not protect them. Thankfully, her family members survived. It is one thing to read about this, but another thing to work with people who survived it and now face the current political situation in Serbia. I realize that my knowledge is very censured and limited. I just listen and ask questions. Everyone is really open and welcoming. One thing that gives me hope is that all the people I have spoke with do not see Serbia becoming militant about Kosovo's independence. The other interesting perspective I heard was that Serbia is Russia's door/access to Europe/the E.U. It will be interesting to see how the politics of this situation play out over time. In the mean time, the women of UNIFEM and NGOs continue to struggle to keep women's issues and gender perspective part of the debates and conversations.

I always knew that being an American was privileged, especially because I come from a middle class background with a stable, wonderful family. But that is coming sharply into perspective when I look at what my colleagues, including one of my co-workers, have to go through to come to Bratislava. They need to get visas. I just show my passport at customs. When I arrived in Skopje, customs did not ask me a single question. And I was so worried about my visa - ha! The only time I have ever needed a visa to travel (in my adult life) was when I went to China in 1999 and in that case, everyone needs a visa to travel to China. In Skopje, I did have to register with the police because I rented an apartment and am a foreigner, but that is only necessary in case I get stopped on the street. Then, I just show this piece of paper and my passport and that should be enough. Hopefully, it is a moot point.

On another note, I realized that I have used four different currencies in a span of 5 days Thursday-Monday). And with that, my friends, I must head off to bed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds exciting, em!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing experience you are having! Keep on 'Living the Dream'! ;-)