Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Evenings in Bratislava

During the retreat, for the most part, we are responsible for figuring out dinner. The first night here, we took a cab to the center of the city, which is also the old, beautiful part of the city. The group I was with went to a Mexican restaurant called "Diablo". I was excited to experience Mexican food in Slovakia. I have to upload the picture of my mini burritos. Let's just say this food was an interpretation of Mexican food - it was not familiar. I had Mexican inspired goulash in one of my burritos! Then, last night, after going to a bar called Slovak (creative name, eh?) and having traditional Slovakian food and delicious Slovakian beer, we went to a Cuban place. In the Cuban bar, you can write on the wall with permanent markers so we all made our mark. I wrote PENN & UNIFEM 2008 and will post the picture as soon as I can. It was fun, especially since I was able to spend time with my colleagues who are around my age. I am not going to lie - I still feel awkward being American because I do not speak a language from the Balkan region, but I know that is an internal insecurity, not due to how I am being treated by my coworkers. Ta ta for now (TTFN)!!

3 comments:

Maria B said...

Dear Sister Calabaza,

I met a number of interesting people recently, all of them connected in one way or another to the Institute of Social Studies (ISS) in the Hague.

Of special mention, a bald headed beauty from Macedonia working on her PhD at the University of Amsterdam, which focuses on women and nationalism in Serbia.

Isn't that something?

Ems said...

Indeed, Maria! I look forward to your visit an am anxious to hear how life is treating you.

zoNa said...

sounds like fun!